‘Either I will come back after hoisting the Tricolor Or I will come back wrapped in it.’
After reading this quote, you must have understood that what is in our news feed to serve. Whether a newspaper or television, only he is being mentioned on almost every cover page and breaking news. This is the saga of bravery, of such an officer of the Indian Army who has done excellent work for the pride of the country, on which the country will be always proud. This is the story of the first Chief of Defence Staff of India General Bipin Rawat.
Who was General Bipin Laxman Singh Rawat?
• General Bipin Laxman Singh Rawat PVSM UYSM AVSM YSM SM VSM ADC was an Indian military officer. You will probably be surprised to know that behind his name, these short forms are nothing but the achievements of the war medal that they have got. PVSM means Param Vishisht Seva Medal.UYSM means Uttam Yudh Seva Medal. AVSM means Ati Vishisht Seva Medal. YSM means Yudh Seva Medal. SM means Sena Medal.. VSM means Vishisht Seva Medal. ADC means Aide-De-Camps. He was a four-star general of the Indian Army.
• Bipin Rawat was the Chief of Army Staff from December 31, 2016, to December 31, 2019.
• He was the 27th Chief of the Indian Army
• He was appointed as India’s first CDS on 1 January 2020
His early life
Bipin Rawat was born in a Rajput family in Pauri, Garhwal district of Uttarakhand. General Rawat started his career in 1978 with the 5th Battalion of the 11th Gorkha Rifles. He completed his education at Cambrian Hall School in Dehradun, St. Edward’s School in Shimla and the Indian Military Academy from Dehradun.
He was awarded the ‘Sword of Honour’ from the Indian Military Academy. For his studies in Military-Media Strategic Studies, he earned a doctorate in philosophy from Chaudhary Charan Singh University in Meerut in 2011.
Educational life of Bipin Rawat
• General Bipin Rawat completed his graduation from the Indian Military Academy.
• He was awarded the ‘Sword of Honour’ from IMA Dehradun.
• He received his M.Phill degree in Defense and Management Studies from Devi Ahilya University.
• He did M. Phil in Strategic and Defense Studies from Madras University.
• In 2011 he did his PhD in Military Media Studies from Chaudhary Charan Singh.
Rawat’s Military career
Born in a Rajput family, Bipin Rawat’s father was also an officer in Indian Services. Several generations of the Rawat family have been contributing to the army. This is in January 1979, when Rawat was appointed to the Mizoram Army for the first time. The battalion was led by Bipin Rawat during its deployment in the NEFA area. He headed the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Congo. He also held the post of Vice Chief of Army Staff on 01 September 2016 and Chief of Army Staff on 31 December 2016.
An Indian Air Force helicopter (Mi-17 VH helicopter) crashed on 08 December 2021 near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu. Defense Chief General Bipin Rawat was accompanied by 13 other people in this aircraft. Thirteen of the fourteen people involved in the accident were confirmed dead. Seeing such an adverse situation, an inquiry was ordered by the Air Force. The helicopter, which took off from Sulur IAF station in Coimbatore, was on its way to Wellington Military Officers Academy carrying the Defense Chief.
During his career spanning nearly 43 years, General Rawat has risen from Second Lieutenant to General (CDS), receiving him Param Vishisht Seva Medal, Uttam Yudh Seva Medal, Ati Vishisht Seva Medal, Yudh Seva Medal, Sena Medal, on two occasions. Awarded for Gallantry and Distinguished Service with the Vishisht Seva Medal, COAS Commendation.
Today, even though General Bipin Rawat is no more with us, but his love for nation and the steps taken to protect India will always keep him alive among Indians. Tribute to all the people who lost their lives in the accident.